12 October 2009

My New Favorite Racing Song

This one is now on my Workout Playlist on my iPod. It's not new, but it's new to me. I like the imagery of the racers, and the lone racer still pushing long after the race is won. I've abbreviated it slightly....



The Distance-By Cake

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,Engines pumping and thumping in time.

The green light flashes, the flags go up.Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.

They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,Fuel burning fast on an empty tank.

Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.Their crowd watches potent and secretly stearn.

As they speed through the finish, the flags go down.The fans get up and they get out of town.

The arena is empty except for one man,Still driving and striving as fast as he can.

The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,And long ago somebody left with the cup.

No trophy, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no wine,Hes haunted by something he cannot define.

Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,Assail him, impale him with monster-truck force.

In his mind, hes still driving,still making the grade.Shes hoping in time that her memories will fade.

Cause hes racing and pacing and plotting the course,Hes fighting and biting and riding on his horse.

The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,And long ago somebody left with the cup.

But hes striving and driving and hugging the turns...and thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

5 comments:

  1. That's one of my fave songs for running, too. You might find a few more visitors here when I add you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It really paints a good picture doesn't it? Thanks for putting me on your blogroll, Steve. I think about 25-30% of my visits so far were my own, checking to see if anyone visited. I'm looking forward to more witty bantor from The Community. I think finally participating in Ultras will help a ton. Hopefully you can make it to WD and/or Murphy, if even for shits and giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Saturday Bill!!!!

    PS I only take responsbility it it goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill - just found your blog. I don't think we've met yet, but I'll be sharing the trail with you at Surf the Murph 50 mile. Good luck at Wild Duluth this weekend!

    PS> I'll add you to my "Honor Roll" too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the well wishes! God, I hope I can sleep on Friday night...

    ReplyDelete